This two-day course delivers an intensive review of, and insights into the pathophysiology of small bowel and colon topics. Selected inflammatory and obstructive small and large bowel disease will be discussed and illustrated in detail. Structural and pathophysiologic changes that occur in these diseases will be described and the effects on the bowel shown. You will see some things you have never seen before.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
• Understand the major inflammatory diseases of the bowel
• Discuss some less common inflammatory bowel diseases
• Differentiate between Crohns disease and ulcerative colitis
• Recognize and stage small and large bowel obstructions
• Recognize the spectrum, stages, and pathophysiology of ischemic colitis
• Differentiate among pelvic hernias and stage the severity of bowel herniations
• Make the CT diagnose of Celiac disease from pattern recognition and see examples of the malabsorption pattern in other diseases.